IDENTIFICATION AND BIO:
A dancer, choreographer, and teacher, Bruce King performed with Merce Cunningham from 1955 to 1958 and went on to choreograph independently for his own company in the 1970s. He served as an artist-in-residence at various universities and taught regularly at Adelphi University and the American Academy of Dramatic Arts. He died from AIDS-related causes.
KEY CONTACT PERSON(S)/EXECUTOR OF ESTATE:
No executor identified.
David Vaughan, archivist
Cunningham Dance Foundation
55 Bethune Street
New York, New York 10014
212-255-8240 ext 29
HUMAN REPOSITORIES OF THE WORK
(name and contact info, relationship to the artist and the work, assessment):
(location, format, condition, assessment):
The following videotapes are available for viewing at the Dance Collection of the New York Public Library:
Bruce King Dance Technique (1964-65)compilation of four motion pictures originally recorded on 8 mm film by See-Do Productions; beginning-level modern dance instruction demonstrated by Bruce King; one VHS cassette (16 min.); call number MGZIA 4-1186.
Bruce King Pilates Workshops (1988)edited footage of two workshops in the Pilates method presented by Bruce King in Boulder, Colorado: the first held at Body Moves Student Center on April 13, 1988 (4 min.); the second presented as a teachers' workshop at the University of Colorado on April 16, 1988 (18 min.); one VHS (22 min.); call number MGZIA 4-1185.
Dance on: Bruce King (1982)videotaped for the public access cable television series Dance: With Billie Mahoney; taped on 28 March in New York City; producer, Billie Mahoney; director, Jon Hutcheson; interviewee: Bruce King; one 3/4 in. videocassette (28 min.); call number MGZIC 9-479.
(location, format, condition, assessment):
The following individually catalogued photographs can be found at the Dance Collection of the New York Public Library:
King, Bruce 13 (1957)photograph by W. H. Stephan; executing a leap in his Figures Caught; call number MGZE.
King, Bruce 4 (1957)photograph by W. H. Stephan; King executing a leap in Figures Caught; call number MGZE.
King, Bruce 7 (1957)photograph by W. H. Stephan; King posed in an attitude en avant; call number MGZE.
King, Bruce 1 (1960)photograph by Jack Mitchell; posed in the Very Quiet Episode from Five Short Dances; call number MGZE.
King, Bruce 10 (1961)photograph by Jack Mitchell; King with Bettina Dearborn in Children's Suite; call number MGZE.
King, Bruce 11 (1961)photograph by Jack Mitchell; King wearing doublet and hose in Children's Suite; call number MGZE.
King, Bruce 2 (1960)photograph by Bertha Clow; call number MGZE.
(location, type [including notes taken by dancers], assessment):
(scores, sound recordings, set/costume designs):
The following oral history is held in the Dance Collection of the New York Public Library:
King, Bruce (1985)sound recording interviewed by Lesley Farlow 29 August, 3 & 17 September in New York City; four sound cassettes (5 hours, 20 min.); call number MGZTC 3-969; for transcript of interview see: call number MGZMT 3-969.
(location of newspaper clippings, printed programs, press releases, notes, files, diaries; assessment):
At the Dance Collection of the New York Public Library, see:
Bruce King Dance Company; clippings file; call number MGZR.
Bruce King Dance Company; programs and announcements; call number MGZB.
(archival assistance? storage? other?):
Search for executor.
OTHER RELEVANT INFORMATION:
LIST OR OVERVIEW OF WORKS
(title, premiere date, music, production notes, performers):
- Bohen, Tullia. 1979. "Eglevsky Ballet Company (Hofstra University, Oct. 1978); Bugaku (performed by Osaka Garyo-kai Troupe, Carnegie Hall, Oct. 4); Andrea Levine (Environ, Oct. 6-8); Katherine Litz, John Parks, Bruce King (St. John the Divine, Sept. 8-10)." Dance Magazine (January): 27-33.
- Bruce King Dance Concert. 1976. "National Endowment for the Arts. Dance Touring Program. Directory of Dance Companies; Fiscal Year 1977." Washington, D.C: 147-148.
- Cunningham, Katharine. 1979. "Bruce King." Dance News (July):11.
- Dance Magazine. 1979. "Editors' forum" [Letter from Bruce King concerning the National Endowment for the Arts Dance Touring Program and the Artists-in-Schools Program selection policies] (February): 20.
- Danziger, Jennifer. 1969. "Bruce King Dance Concert, The Cubiculo, N.Y., March 31 and April 1." Dance News (May): 10.
- Dowlin, John. 1969. "Bruce King; Cubiculo Theatre, March 31-April 1, 1969." Dance Magazine (May): 89.
- Duncan, Kathy. 1974. "Bruce King Dance Concert, Louis-Nikolais Dance Theatre Lab, N.Y.C., 10 November." Dance News (January): 12.
- King, Bruce. 1990. Creative dance for children at Adelphi Children's Theatre and Adelphi Children's Centre for Creative Arts, 1951-1981.
- Hering, Doris. 1963. "Nelle Fisher, Bruce King, and Assisting Dancers; Judson Hall, December 14, 1962." Dance Magazine (February): 22-23.
- Moore, Nancy. 1974. "Schlepping to Fibonacci: Open Eye, Viola Farber, George Willis, Bruce King." Dance Magazine (January): 31-33.
- Palmer, Winthrop. 1954. "Robin Gregory, Bruce King, Tom Ribbink, Ethel Winter." Dance News (March): 13.
- Reiter, Susan. 1980. "Review: Bruce King, Hunter College Studio Theater, New York, Feb 28-March 1, 1980." Dance News (April): 13.
- Robinson, Leah Ruth. 1993. "Obituaries: Bruce King." Dance Magazine (April): 83.
- Sorell, Walter. 1976. "Bruce King Dance Company, Choreoground Theatre, N.Y.C. March 27, 28." Dance News (May): 13.